Thursday, December 27, 2012

Last Day of Work! (Happy Holidays!)

Hey there!

I just got back from work this morning, and felt like I should write something.  Something. There, I did it. Now will you quit nagging me, Awkward Inner Voice? Sheesh.

Anyway, terrible jokes aside, I just got home from work today, realizing that tomorrow (or rather, later tonight) is my last day of work this year! Allow me to backtrack a little, since I'm not sure if I've mentioned anything about work before.

I finally scored a part-time job at the start of this month, at a Bento (boxed lunch) factory. My shift starts at 1.00 AM until 6.30 PM (that's right, graveyard shift) every weekday. The factory is in Takaida, about 8 stations away from where I live, and it takes about half an hour with the last train of the day.

Finishing work at 6.30, I eat my breakfast (one of the perks of working in a boxed lunch factory, though they cut a bit off my salary) and get out around 7.00, which means I ride back during the morning rush. School holidays just started yesterday, so it's just a straight shot home. During school days, my morning commute is a little bit more complicated.
School starts at 9.00, so I could take the subway straight there, but then I'd arrive a bit over an hour early, with nothing to do. I usually take the subway halfway, to Morinomiya, and walk the rest of the way to school (about 3.5 km). This method is much more enjoyable, but for obvious reasons I don't do it every day.
Even this method has me at school more than 40 minutes early sometimes, so to kill more time (and save up a little money), I like to take the JR train to Morinomiya instead. It requires me to change lines twice, so it takes a little more time, the trains are slightly less crowded, and to top it off, I get to save 60 Yen this way (subway to Morinomiya costs 230 Yen, JR is 170).

Anyway, after school finishes at 12.30, I either grab some lunch or go straight home (sometimes walking to save train money), after which I go to sleep. Wake up at 9, prepare dinner, then take the train to work, and it starts all over again.

As you can imagine, it's doing quite a number on my body clock, so I don't think I'll hang on to the job for the duration of my stay. Thinking of getting a new job around february, which should give me enough money to save up (graveyard shift pays well). That's the plan, anyway.

Like I said, tomorrow's my last day of work, and incidentally, my first payday. Looking forward to that one. I can only hope I have enough self-control to not spend it all in one day.

After that it's a short winter holiday. I have no plans yet, and nobody to have plans with anyway, so one can only hope that turns up well. Hey, the free time might mean that I could update you on things that happened these past few months since I arrived in Japan. We'll just have to wait and see, then.

Until next time,

--Zet

P.S
Not sure I wished everyone a merry christmas yet, so:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment